Current:Home > MyTikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban -Capitatum
TikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 13:22:23
TikTok on Thursday pushed back against U.S. government arguments that the popular social media platform is not shielded by the First Amendment, comparing its platform to prominent American media organizations owned by foreign entities.
Last month, the Justice Department argued in a legal brief filed in a Washington federal appeals court that neither TikTok’s China-based parent company, ByteDance, nor the platform’s global and U.S. arms — TikTok Ltd. and TikTok Inc. — were entitled to First Amendment protections because they are “foreign organizations operating abroad” or owned by one.
TikTok attorneys have made the First Amendment a key part of their legal challenge to the federal law requiring ByteDance to sell TikTok to an approved buyer or face a ban.
On Thursday, they argued in a court document that TikTok’s U.S. arm doesn’t forfeit its constitutional rights because it is owned by a foreign entity. They drew a parallel between TikTok and well-known news outlets such as Politico and Business Insider, both of which are owned by German publisher Axel Springer SE. They also cited Fortune, a business magazine owned by Thai businessman Chatchaval Jiaravanon.
“Surely the American companies that publish Politico, Fortune, and Business Insider do not lose First Amendment protection because they have foreign ownership,” the TikTok attorneys wrote, arguing that “no precedent” supports what they called “the government’s dramatic rewriting of what counts as protected speech.”
In a redacted court filing made last month, the Justice Department argued ByteDance and TikTok haven’t raised valid free speech claims in their challenge against the law, saying the measure addresses national security concerns about TikTok’s ownership without targeting protected speech.
The Biden administration and TikTok had held talks in recent years aimed at resolving the government’s concerns. But the two sides failed to reach a deal.
TikTok said the government essentially walked away from the negotiating table after it proposed a 90-page agreement that detailed how the company planned to address concerns about the app while still maintaining ties with ByteDance.
However, the Justice Department has said TikTok’s proposal “failed to create sufficient separation between the company’s U.S. operations and China” and did not adequately address some of the government’s concerns.
The government has pointed to some data transfers between TikTok employees and ByteDance engineers in China as why it believed the proposal, called Project Texas, was not sufficient to guard against national security concerns. Federal officials have also argued that the size and scope of TikTok would have made it impossible to meaningfully enforce compliance with the proposal.
TikTok attorneys said Thursday that some of what the government views as inadequacies of the agreement were never raised during the negotiations.
Separately the DOJ on Thursday evening asked the court to submit evidence under seal, saying in a filing that the case contained information classified at “Top Secret” levels. TikTok has been opposing those requests.
Oral arguments in the case are scheduled to begin on Sept. 16.
veryGood! (32813)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Kamala Harris energizes South Asian voters, a growing force in key swing states
- Gymnastics at 2024 Paris Olympics: How scoring works, Team USA stars, what to know
- Taylor Swift says she is ‘in shock’ after 2 children died in an attack on a UK dance class
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Cardinals land Erick Fedde, Tommy Pham in 3-way trade with Dodgers, White Sox
- Dan + Shay’s Shay Mooney and Wife Hannah Billingsley Expecting Baby No. 4
- Olympic men's triathlon event postponed due to pollution levels in Seine river
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Detroit mother gets 35+ years in prison for death of 3-year-old son found in freezer
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Watch as rescuers save Georgia man who fell down 50-foot well while looking for phone
- Detroit woman who pleaded guilty in death of son found in freezer sentenced to 35 to 60 years
- More ground cinnamon recalled due to elevated levels of lead, FDA says
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- US Soccer Stars Tobin Heath and Christen Press Confirm They've Been Dating for 8 Years
- Senate set to pass bill designed to protect kids from dangerous online content
- Fencer wins Ukraine's first Olympic medal in Paris. 'It's for my country.'
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Evacuations ordered for Colorado wildfire as blaze spreads near Loveland: See the map
Steals from Lululemon’s We Made Too Much: $29 Shirts, $59 Sweaters, $69 Leggings & More Unmissable Scores
How watching film helped Sanya Richards-Ross win Olympic medals and Olympic broadcast
Travis Hunter, the 2
Perfect photo of near-perfect surfer goes viral at 2024 Olympics
Selena Gomez hits back at criticism of facial changes: 'I have Botox. That's it.'
Detroit woman who pleaded guilty in death of son found in freezer sentenced to 35 to 60 years